At Full Circle Karate we put a special emphasis on our children’s program with our Comprehensive Children’s Curriculum© . We realize that parents want more than just an activity their kids enjoy; they want an ally in shaping, teaching, and building of thier kids. So although the ability to defend oneself is important, there are more important benefits to be had from involving your child in our progam.
Our Comprehensive Children’s Curriculum© was designed to provide a complete program that will give children the knowledge, skills, and attitude to keep them safe from the range of threats that are appropriate to them and promote character development.
The Comprehensive Children’s Curriculum© is made up of 5 modules that are rolled into the children’s program.
1. Anti-bullying; Up through Green belt there will be information and practical drills to address and counter the bullying culture often found in schools.
2. Firearms safety; In the higher levels there will be information and video content going over safety rules if a gun is found.
3. Animal safety; Information and video content on how to approach and interact with a dog and recognize the warning signs of distress.
4. Kidnapping prevention; During our sparring time will be devoted to kidnapping awareness and prevention.
5. Cyber/ online safety; Through lessons and video we will be addressing the issue of cyber predators, keeping your personal information safe and the permanence of information on the internet.
To fulfill the idea of character development, we have ‘mat chats’ where we discuss the contents of our creed, the definitions of the words on our wall, life lessons and adding chore requirements at certain belt levels. We also strive to have a close, supportive relationship with the parents/care givers to discuss how their child is doing in school, at home, their attitudes, their grades, their chore levels, their screen time, and whether or not they are practicing at home and how to improve all these things.
In addition to these 5 safety modults and good fighting skills, we promote the following to build up character.
- Effort & Concentration
- Determination and Perseverance
- Respect and Honor
- Self-control and Discipline
- Etiquette, Courtesy and Cooperation
By imputing the above principles into our children’s self defense classes, Full Circle has made a strong commitment to the development of today’s youth. Starting at age 7 and up, our specially structured programs will improve your child’s performance in other areas such as study habits, concentration, schoolwork, etc. Children’s class are ½ hour long to accommodate shorter attention spans and prevent burnout.. Furthermore, the way our classes are structured they are divided by rank so we have a beginners, intermediate and advanced group. New students will be in with other new students but those in the advanced group will be doing more advanced techniques at an accelerated rate.
See our schedule page for class times.